Thursday 15 December 2011

Arambol....

When I first arrived I arambol I was accompanied by two overly confident Israeli girls who had " done India many times before", they annoyed me and I felt lonelier in there company than I would have done without them so I politely said goodbye and thank you for their help.... I was on my own and good! After a sleepless night in a room with a very loud fan I thought it best to embrace the day and do some exploring. At first I was intimidated by the place, it then crossed my mind that this feeling wasn't unusual to me as I have felt it throughout my life; starting new jobs, going to places by myself, a feeling of stepping onto the territory of others and the only way to get over it is to stay and find my way as I probably would have felt the same in any place I landed....I changed guesthouse to a room wit a ' better feel' , I found a very good yoga class and a very good patch of beach away from the fuss..
Unlike your usual ' holiday resort ' arambol has a different feel and a great mix of people working together in harmony.. On one end of the spectrum there are beautifully tattooed and pearced hippy/ traveller types, filling the beaches at sunset drumming away, dancing, juggling... Groups of people taking tai chi classes run by men in flowing white suits (sorry to say but cringeworthy), your older traveller singing happy songs, eyes closed and full of love and then you have the Russians...set upside from all of the free flowing love and melodic vibe the Russians fall into the ' stiff and abrupt ' category, if there is such a thing. A bit like aliens landing on earth, but as I said everyone relaxes in harmony, in their own individual ways making it a fascinating place to sit aside and people watch.
My days are now filled with 2 hours of yoga, followed by a very welcome brunch to cure my ravenous state and then relaxing on the beach, although relaxing on the beach does consist of telling endless sellers on the beach " no thanks", everything from jewellery, sarongs, drums, ear cleaning and today a guy was trying to sell glitter balls..WHO wants to by a glitter ball when they are sunbathing? Giving the persistence of these people I am sure somebody ends up adding one to the endless amount of tatt they have been forced into buying and furiously stuff it into their luggage ready for it's cupboard bound existence back home....
All in all arambol has a friendly alternative vibe, the locals are charming ( a few perverted!) and you can get a mean fish curry.... And on that note now is my time to stop writing and go indulge in my new favourite taste sensation........

No comments:

Post a Comment